Teenage pregnancy among high school students in South Africa’s former African schools that could lead to or increase HIV infection

Moyo, Melania (2014-12)

Thesis (MPhil)--Stellenbosch University, 2014.

Thesis

ENGLISH ABSTRACT: The present young generation is the largest population in history and young girls are the most threatened and vulnerable with regards teenage pregnancy and HIV infection. The survey study was conducted among teenage girls at Masibambane high school in the Western province of South Africa. Forty young girls volunteered to participate in the study by responding to structured questionnaires concerning their perceptions about teenage pregnancy, their personal sexual experiences, attitudes with regards the use of condoms and knowledge on HIV/AIDS and sexuality. Both qualitative and quantitative methods were used to collect data from the girls. The study found a variety of factors place young girls at the centre of teen pregnancy and HIV vulnerability. Only 30% of the participants interviewed were living with both parents while the remaining 70% were with relatives, step parents, siblings, one parent and or friends. The study also established 85% of the participants lived in shacks and government RDP houses, with the remaining 15% living in houses and flats respectively. Furthermore, 70% had sexual intercourse by the time of the study and those (50%) practiced safe sex. Prior to the study 14.28% had been pregnant and 10.71% had an abortion. The study found 38.45% were involved with sexual partners between the ages of 21 to 34. The study concluded there are many socio-economic factors that lead to teenage pregnancy. These include broken homes, poverty, low condom use, early sexual maturity, exploitation by older men, lack of knowledge and information on sexuality and H IV/AIDS, peer and social pressures and ignorance.

AFRIKAANSE OPSOMMING: Die huidige jong generasie is die grootste bevolking in geskiedenis en jong meisies is die mees bedreigde en kwesbaarste met betrekking tot tiener-swangerskap en MIV-infeksie. Die studie is gedoen onder tienermeisies by Masibambane Hoërskool in die Westelike Provinsie van Suid-Afrika. Veertig tienermeisies het vrywilliglik deelgeneem in die studie deur te reageer op gestruktureede vraelyste met betrekking tot hulle persepsie aangaande tiener swangerskap, hulle persoonlike sekseule onderviding, houdings met betrekking tot die gebruik van kondome en kennis van MIV/VIGS en seksualiteit. Beide kwalitatiewe en kwantitatiewe metodes is gebruik om die data te versamel. Die studie het bepaal dat ‘n verskeidenheid faktore plaas jong meisies in die middel van tiener-swangerskap en MIV-kwesbaarheid. Slegs 30% van die deelnemers met wie onderhoude gevoer was het by beide ouers gewoon, die oorblywende 70% het by familielede, stiefouers, broers of susters, een ouer en of vriende gewoon. Die studie het ook bepaal dat 85% van die deelnemers in plakkershuise en staats landelike ontwikkelingsplan huise gewoon het, met die oorblywende 15% wie in huise en woonstelle gewoon het. Verder het 70% reeds seks gehad teen tyd van die studie en 50% van hulle beoefen veilige seks. 14.28%.was voor die studie swanger gewees en 10.71% het ‘n aborsie gehad .Die studie het ook bepaal dat 38.45% betrokke was met seksmaats tussen die ouderdom van 21 tot 34. Die studie bevind dat daar baie sosio-ekonomiese faktore is wat lei tot tiener-swangerskappe. Hierdie sluit in betbokke huisgesinne, armoede, minder gebruik van kondome, vroeë seksuele volwassenheid en uitbuiting deur ouer mans, gebrek aan kennis en inligting oor seksualiteit en MIV/VIGS, groep en sosiale druk en onkunde.

Please refer to this item in SUNScholar by using the following persistent URL: http://hdl.handle.net/10019.1/95948
This item appears in the following collections: