SUNScholar will be unavailable on 25 April 2018 from 08:00 to 10:00 South African Time for routine maintenance. Please contact for queries.

Accidental ingestion of a component of a fixed orthodontic appliance--a case report.

Quick A.N. ; Harris A.M. (2002)


Most dental patients are treated in the supine position, enhancing the risk of accidental aspiration or swallowing of foreign objects. This article presents a case report of an orthodontic patient who accidentally ingested a section of orthodontic wire and coil spring from a fixed expansion device placed in the maxillary dental arch. Some guidelines for the prevention of such occurrences in the practice and at home, and possible courses of remedial action, are discussed.

Please refer to this item in SUNScholar by using the following persistent URL:
This item appears in the following collections: