An Anglican parish in transformation : the history of St. Margaret’s, Parow, 1942 - 1995

Davids, Tessa Dawn (2013-03)

Thesis (MA)--Stellenbosch Univeristy, 2013.

Thesis

ENGLISH ABSTRACT: This study is an historical analysis of the History of St. Margaret’s Anglican Parish, situated in the Northern Suburbs of Cape Town. While documenting the history of the parish since its establishment in 1942, it also critically examines its response to the socio-political changes the country was going through such as the Group Areas Act and in so doing, determines the extent of its own transformation. St. Margaret’s was not the first Anglican parish in Parow. An Anglican presence existed in Parow since 1900 with St. John the Baptist being the first parish along with an Anglican primary school, namely Glen Lily. The Anglican parishes of Parow were profoundly affected by apartheid, especially the Group Areas Act which completely changed the landscape of the town and the roles of the parishes. It led to the deconsecration of St. John’s and the closure of Glen Lily Primary school. The church building survived, but the school was completely demolished. St. Margaret’s did became an independent parish, but faced many challenges as it struggled to cope with the call from the Anglican Church to become agents of reconciliation while Archbishop Tutu called for sanctions against South Africa and seemingly supported the armed struggle. Despite the unhappiness with the Archbishop’s call for greater commitment to the abolition of apartheid, the congregation did in time find its own metier.

AFRIKAANSE OPSOMMING: Hierdie studiestuk bied ‘n historiese analise van die Geskiedenis van die St. Margarets Anglikaanse Gemeente wat in die noordelike voorstede van Kaapstad geleë is. Terwyl die geskiedenis van dié gemeente sedert sy ontstaan in 1942 gedek word, word daar ook krities gekyk na die reaksie op die sosio-politiese veranderinge wat die land ondergaan het, soos die Groepsgebiedewet, waardeur ook die omvang van die gemeente se eie transformasieproses bepaal is. St Margarets was nie die eerste Anglikaanse-gemeente in Parow nie. Reeds sedert 1900 het St John the Baptist as eerste gemeente bestaan, tesame met ‘n Anglikaanse primêre skool, Glen Lily. Die Anglikaanse-gemeentes van Parow is deeglik geraak deur apartheid, veral die Groepsgebiedewet wat die voorkoms van die dorp en die rol van dié gemeentes totaal verander het. Dit het tot die sekularisering van St Johns en die sluiting van die Laerskool Glen Lily gelei. Die kerkgebou het behoue gebly, maar die skool is heeltemal gesloop. St Margarets het ‘n onafhanklike gemeente geword, maar het nog verskeie uitdagings in die gesig gestaar in sy stryd om te voldoen aan die oproep van die Anglikaanse Kerk om agente te word vir rekonsiliasie, terwyl Aartsbiskop Tutu gevra het vir sanksies teen Suid-Afrika en oënskynlik die gewapende stryd ondersteun het. Ten spyte van die ongelukkigheid wat die Aartsbiskop se oproep om groter toegewydheid aan die afskaffing van apartheid veroorsaak het, het die gemeente mettertyd haar eie métier gevind.

Please refer to this item in SUNScholar by using the following persistent URL: http://hdl.handle.net/10019.1/80303
This item appears in the following collections: