Habitat vulnerability for the Nile crocodile (Crocodylus niloticus) in the Okavango Delta, Botswana

Shacks, Vincent (2006-12)

Thesis (MA (Geography and Environmental Studies))--University of Stellenbosch, 2006.


The Okavango river along the panhandle of the Delta, in Botswana, is home to many wildlife species as well as to many large village communities. Local communities rely on the riverine system and its resources for subsistence and commerce. Activities associated with the utilization of these resources are governed by the fluctuating water levels of the river, which inhibit access during high water levels and allow access during low water levels. The high intensity of activities, such as reed harvesting, fishing and increased tourism, during low water periods coincides with the breeding season of many wildlife species in the system, including the Nile crocodile (Crocodylus niloticus). Over 90% of crocodile breeding areas in the Delta are found only in the panhandle region. The association between the intensity of human activities in the floodplains and crocodile nesting activity means that much of the habitat required for nesting is vulnerable to human disturbance and this could have severe negative impacts on the future of the Okavango crocodile population. The study evaluated habitat vulnerability by mapping and spatially comparing habitat suitability, based on optimum environmental requirements for crocodile nesting, and human disturbance factors. A detailed crocodile nesting survey was carried out to locate and test all nesting sites according to criteria selected by species experts. The results from the survey were used to locate suitable nesting habitat in the study area by analysis in a Geographic Information System (GIS). Disturbance factors were visually identified and their locations in the study area spatially mapped. Their spatial influences on crocodile nesting were used as factors in a Multi-Criteria Evaluation (MCE) that evaluated the combined effect of the disturbances on the area defined as suitable crocodile habitat. The results indicate the extent of habitat vulnerable to human disturbances. The results from the study show that 59% of once suitable crocodile habitat is currently disturbed by human activities. Most of the remaining 41% of undisturbed habitat is located along the Moremi/Phillipa side channel, which represents a core area for protection measures to be instated. The study recommends the declaration of a crocodile nesting sanctuary in this side channel to ensure the breeding success of this keystone species.

Please refer to this item in SUNScholar by using the following persistent URL: http://hdl.handle.net/10019.1/1510
This item appears in the following collections: